Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wednesday/Thursday of Cheese-fare Week




Since I am writing this so late on Wednesday night, I have decided that it will be a dual post for Wednesday and Thursday. Eastern Christians are now in the midst of Cheese-fare week. This year, both Eastern Orthodox and Catholics are on the same calendar. To anyone who is not Eastern, it must seem like we are obsessed with food. Meat-fare, Cheese-fare, what is up with that? Since last Sunday we are supposed to abstain from eating meat products. This week is the last week we may enjoy dairy products (cheese, milk, butter, eggs, etc.) and so it is called Cheese-Fare. In Russian it is called Maslenitsa. The picture above is a painting by Boris Kustodiev depicting what Maslenitsa looked like circa 1919. It is our last chance to party and have some of the rich foods which we won't be enjoying for awhile.

This is really the first year I am attempting to live out the Fast to the fullest. I haven't had any meat this week. It hasn't been too tough yet, but I know that it is still early. I'm in the "wow this is new and exciting stage and I am going to do my best!" I also live at a dorm that does a reasonably good job with providing vegetarian options to students. I will also admit that it is easier to be meat free when I am only worrying about myself. Back at home, my parents usually don't stick to the strictest form of the fast. They partake of meat and dairy products on days except Wednesday and Friday (which is acceptable). I find when I'm at home that I don't want to impose on my parents. If my mom makes something with meat, I'll usually eat it, just not as much of it. Back to the veggie, options at school... Yesterday we were given the choice of veggie chicken nuggets and today we were given the choice of veggie burgers. I discovered something just a tad "dangerous". I love veggie chicken nuggets. I think I could eat them every day of Lent and it wouldn't bother me. That is the problem. Even though I'm not eating meat, it still doesn't seem like a sacrifice. Veggie burgers on the other hand, are a different story for me. I can't stand them. They were most definitely less than appetizing to me. This felt like a sacrifice.

Our readings for Wednesday come from the book of Joel (Joel 2:12-26). The zinger is at the very beginning "Yet even now, says the LORD, return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, and weeping and mourning." If this doesn't scream Lenten foreshadowing, I don't know what does. Many of the readings this week are designed to prepare us for the journey of the Fast which lies ahead. The Fast is a lot like running a marathon. You really need to be disciplined in order to pace yourself. Many people (myself included) are often very exuberant when the Fast begins, but get burnt out in the middle and limp weakly to the finish. We even pray during the beautiful presanctified liturgy to "fight the good fight, and finished the course of the Fast."

It is also evident that Lent is coming in the readings for Thursday (Jude: 11-25 and Luke 23:2-34; 44-56). The gospel reading is the trial and crucifixion of Christ. What struck me upon reading this today was how many times Luke mentions "the Women" who followed Christ. Many people who know me know of my great devotion to these women who, being the first witnesses to the resurrection of Christ became the heralds of good news, the "apostles to the Apostles" (whoops, I hope I didn't ruin the Paschal surprise for anyone. Jesus wins in the end.). The women disciples were there from beginning to end. They didn't leave. They didn't chicken out. They stood by the Lord during his most trying time and they were the first to witness his resurrection. To me, the church, in its wisdom has slyly given them to us in today's reading to be our example before we begin the Fast. We need, no we must, do our best to emulate these women. We need to be constant in the fast from beginning to end. We can't chicken out because it is the easy thing to do. We should suffer for Christ, who sacrificed Himself for us, and then we will be the witnesses to his Resurrection.

One of the things I am (hopefully) going to do this Lenten Season is to enhance my mind spiritually. The Fast is a time to increase our prayer life and devotion but I also think it is wise to read "good books" in addition to the "Good book" (ie the Bible). The first book I am starting with is, actually, one I have read twice before. It is my well-thumbed through copy of Facing East by Frederica Mathewes-Green. I first found this book during my first semester of college. I was hopelessly "church-sick" as my mother put it. Being Byzantine Catholic surrounded by hundreds of Roman Catholics in your dorm and thousands of students of many different religions is not an easy thing. It was the first time I had ever been separated from my church. Because an Eastern Christian experiences the Liturgy and services with all of their five senses, it was not always enough for me to just read my prayers. I was a fish out of water.

One day while perusing the local bookstore I found this book which was subtitled "a Pilgrim's Journey Into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy". In this lovely book I found so much of what was familiar to me, the description of the services, talk of icons and incense. It really helped me be reminded of some of the traditions of my faith. Through this, I was able to share this with other people. I decided to start reading it again because it begins with descriptions of the very beginning of the Fast. I would encourage everyone (especially students) to make an attempt to read something, even if only for 15 minutes, that will not only stimulate your intellect but also you faith as well. As a student, I know how hard it can be to find time to read something that will benefit the soul between the biology, chemistry and what passes for literature nowadays. Bring a book to class and read it for just 5 minutes before class starts, listen to a faith based podcast on the bus or while you work out. Even just a few minutes can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment